The Power Coalition Team
- Power Coalition ran statewide GOTV campaigns for all five Louisiana elections in 2021
- Jumped into action after Hurricane Ida
- More than $300,000 in grants to over 20 community organizations
- This included $150,000 in direct cash assistance within a week of the storm
- Worked with partners in the government’s office to move the election so that community could actively participate
- Louisiana expanded democracy while much of the country was going in the other direction
- Act 22 extends the amount of time you can spend in the voting booth
- Act 365 extends early voting for presidential elections
- VOTE’s leadership passed Act 127 that will make registering to vote easier for people with prior convictions.
- Over 50 COVID-19 vaccination events with Bring Back Louisiana!
- Louisiana was the first state to reach vaccinating a higher rate of Black people against COVID-19
- 14 new She Leads Civic Engagement Fellows
- Over 500 people trained in equitable redistricting principles
- Amendment 1 voted down by Louisiana voters!
2021 Community Wins
- Power Coalition and Partners advocated for community members in the Louisiana Legislative Session in 2021.
- VOTE advocated for Act 121 to end the lifetime jury service ban on people with felony convictions.
- VOTE advocated for Act 271 to require that a person is informed about how a felony conviction will impact their lives before they plead guilty to a crime and Act 122 will restore parole eligibility
to people after completing 20 years of a sentence and
reaching 45 years old.
- Act 406 prohibits employers from discriminating against people with a criminal history and will help our community access quality jobs!
- Companies will be required to provide reasonable accommodations for pregnant workers thanks to Act 393, and health insurance can cover doula and
midwife services due to the passage of Act 182.
- Act 123 eliminates the court costs, fines, and fees on children in the juvenile system.
- New Orleans elected its first Black female sheriff due to the dedication of community partners holding candidate forums, talking to communities, and making the issue of justice clear to voters
- Bring Back Louisiana hosted hundreds of COVID-19 vaccine events across Louisiana, vaccinating thousands of community members and protecting our state from COVID-19.
- Rise St. James is pushing back against the petrochemical industry and the development of the Formosa Plant has been put on pause.
- Women With A Vision in partnership with the Columbia University, Mailmen School hosted a convening to draw the connections between environmental justice and reproductive justice.
Voice of the Experienced (VOTE)
Step Up Louisiana
New Orleans Workers’ Center for Racial Justice (NOWCRJ)
VAYLA New Orleans
Families and Friends of Louisiana’s Incarcerated Children (FFLIC)
Jericho Road Housing Initiative
Louisiana Budget Project (LBP)
Women with a Vision (WWAV)
Louisiana Partnership for Children and Families (LPCF)
Louisiana Policy Institute for Children (LPIC)
Black Voters Matter (BVM)
Made to Save
Louisiana Pan-Hellenic CouncilReady Louisiana Early Childhood Coalition
NAACP Legal Defense Fund
Churches and religious institutions
Faith in Action
Bring Back Louisiana
Louisiana Bucket Brigade
and many more Powerful Organizations